Visual Description (Source: worldagroforestry.org) – click on bullets for images of what is being described.
- small deciduous tree with sparse foliage
- 8 m high and 60 cm
- bole crooked, often forked from near the base
- bark smooth, dark grey or thin, yellowish
- twigs and shoots shortly but densely hairy
- crown wide, open; umbrella shaped
- usually a single stem
- deep rooted
- soft wood
- leaves alternate, the old ones soon falling off; each leaf large (up to about 90 cm long), with opposite pinnae, spaced about 5 cm apart up the central stalk, usually with a 2nd lot of pinnae, also opposite, bearing leaflets in opposite pairs, with a slightly larger terminal leaflet.
- leaflets dark green above and pale on the under surface; variable in size and shape, but often rounded-elliptic, seldom as much as 2.5 cm long.
- flowers produced throughout the year
- individual flower stalks up to 12 mm long and very slender
- 5 white petals, unequal, a little longer than the sepals; 5 stamens with anthers, 5 without; style slender, flowers very sweet smelling.
- fruits are large and distinctive, up to 90 cm long and 12 mm broad, slightly constricted at intervals, gradually tapering to a point, 3- (4-) angled, with 2 grooves on each face, light brown.
- splits along each angle to expose the rows of rounded blackish oily seeds, each with 3 papery wings.
Water Treatment Instructions (Source: treesforlife.org) – Video demonstration: Link to Youtube
- Allow the Moringa seed pods to dry naturally on the tree before harvesting them
- Remove the seed husks, leaving a whitish kernel
- Crush the seed kernels to a powder with a stone or mortar
- Add the resulting seed powder to the water you wish to purify. – 100-150 mg (5 pinches) of ground Moringa seed treats one liter of water, depending on how clear the water is
- Stir quickly for 30 seconds, then slowly and regularly for five minutes
- Cover the water and do not disturb it for at least an hour
- The clean water may be siphoned or poured off the top of the container
- Minor Chemical Impurities may still be present
- Just because water appears clear does not mean safe to drink, please boil water to ensure harmful microbe removal